This half term our homework focus will be on reading. No homework sheets will be sent home, instead we ask that you listen to your child read at least 3 times and sign their reading record. Year One staff will check the children’s reading records by Wednesday every week. Children that have completed their reading homework will be awarded Dojo points. When listening to your child read, could you also question them about the story to help with their understanding. Here are some examples of questions you could ask:
- What is the title of the book?
- What do you think the book is about?
- Who are the characters in the story?
- Where is the story set?
- How are certain characters feeling?
- Can you find any tricky words?
- Can you find any adjectives?
- Can you find any verbs? (action word)
- Can you find any adjectives? (describing words)
- What do you like about the story?
- What do you dislike about the story?
- Can you write down any words you don’t understand?
- Can you write down words you would like to find out more about?
Year One Staff