Concern About a Child

What to do if you have a concern:

From time to time parents have a concern about their children (or other children) which needs to be addressed.  Please do not hesitate to contact the school if this is the case.

Academic Progress

If your concern is about the progress your child is making, please contact your child’s teacher in the first instance who will either reassure you or devise a plan of action to meet the concerns.  This may be drawn up after consultation with our Special Needs coordinator Mrs Cronin.  If the concern persists the next ‘port of call’ is the Acting Deputy Head Teacher, Ms Lynton.

Bullying or Social Concerns

If you believe your child is being bullied or is lacking friends or lacking confidence in the classroom please initially talk to your child’s teacher.  The school has excellent procedures in place to combat bullying, including Cyber Bullying and to encourage friendships which are vital to a happy school life.  The matter will be taken seriously.

Safety Concerns

If you suspect that a child may be suffering abuse or potentially at risk from any source inside or outside the family or the school please raise your suspicions with Mr Uddin, our Acting Headteacher, who will investigate the situation in the utmost confidence.  We would rather explore a problem which proves groundless than to miss an opportunity to support a child in need.  You can be reassured that only relevant authorities or persons involved will be aware of the concerns.

As a last resort if matters seem unresolved you can contact a school governor (preferably the Chair of governors, Helen Thompson), who will consult with Mr Uddin to ensure that action is taken.  This will again be done in strict confidence and only the governor, Mr Uddin or relevant authorities will be informed.

Levels of contact:-

  • Your Child’s Class teacher
  • Phase Leaders/ Assistant Heads EYFS, Miss Farrar; Key Stage 1 Miss Oxley; Lower Key Stage 2 Rebecca Buckley; Upper Key Stage 2 Russell Lammas
  • Acting Deputy Head Ms Lynton or SEN coordinator Mrs Cronin
  • Mr Uddin
  • Chair of Governors Mrs Helen Thompson

Immediate Concern

Help for someone being abused or neglected
If an adult or child is in immediate danger you should ring the emergency services or contact the police on 999
If the situation does not require emergency assistance you should report your concerns to:

Manchester Contact Centre

Telephone: 0161 234 5001 (open 24 hours a day, seven days a week)
Secure email:   if you are sending sensitive information
SMS Text: 07860 003160
Online through: Sign-Video

If you are in any doubt about reporting your concerns don’t think ‘What if I’m wrong?’ think ‘What if I’m right?’
Other useful contact numbers:

Domestic Abuse Family Safety Unit:              Tel 0161 912 5805

National Domestic Violence Helpline:            Tel 0808 2000 247

Childline:                                                        Tel 0800 1111

NSPCC                                                           Tel 0808 8005000